The Politecnico di Milano (PoliMi) was established in 1863. Its most eminent professors over the years have included the mathematician Francesco Brioschi (its first Director), Luigi Cremona, and Giulio Natta (Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1963). The “Politecnico di Milano” is a science and technology university producing engineers, architects and industrial designers through a variety of innovative specialising courses.
The Politecnico di Milano is nowadays organised in 17 departments and a network of 9 Schools of Engineering, Architecture and Industrial Design spread over 7 campuses over the Lombardy region with a central administration and management. The 9 schools are devoted to education whereas the 17 departments are devoted to research. The number of students enrolled in all campuses is approximately 40,000, which makes the Politecnico di Milano the largest institution in Italy for Engineering, Architecture and Industrial Design.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering has its aim in the development, by theoretical and applied researches, of knowledge, methodologies, devices and systems proper to basic and applied mechanics. The research fields mainly regard: system mechanics, machine design, technical materials, mechanical technologies, mechanical plants and logistics, mechanical measurements, robotics and vehicle design.